Creosote is a highly flammable tar residue that can form when wood is burned incompletely. A smoky fire without enough oxygen or a malfunctioning stove can increase the opportunity for creosote buildup. There are several forms of creosote buildup: the first, a fine, dusty soot that can be cleaned very easily; the second, a grainy black sootthat can be cleaned fairly easily with a chimney brush; the third; a thick, tar-like buildup that is more difficult to remove and requires special tools; and the fourth, a shiny, glazed coating that is the most difficult to remove. If your chimney technician finds a creosote buildup even one-eighth of an inch thick or with a glazed coating, it’s time for a cleaning as soon as possible.
We have been proudly serving the Raleigh area since 2010. We pride ourselves in thorough inspections and cleanings to keep your fireplace system running safely and smoothly year after year.